Whom To Ask
If you encounter problems during your daily work, there are a number of people whom you can ask for help or assistance:
- In many cases, your officemates will have solved the same problem before.
The FLC administrators have in-depth knowledge of the FLC computing infrastructure, and they will handle the necessary communication with the central DESY IT group. Furthermore, they can perform tasks for which superuser privileges are needed. You should also contact your administrators if you have hardware problems. Several people take care of different tasks:
- Desktop OS/hardware administration (provide spare parts, commission repairs, order new hardware, …)
- Namespace Administrator, Linux Group Administrator, Network Segment Administrator
- Linux systems in general, account administration (reset passwords, unlock accounts, modify resources in the registry, change the login shell, …)
- Network administration (register hosts in the network, request permanent wireless access, …)
Oliver Schäfer central AFS and group administration (manage central directories, create global user groups, change quotas, …), web server administration
Robert Karl – web pages
Ursula Djuanda – Windows systems; Windows Group Administrator: includes also AFS home directory quota, user and host registration...
Ties Behnke and Felix Sefkow (Namespace Supervisors) – everything which needs official approval and/or costs a lot of money.
The UCO can answer questions which are not specifically related to FLC, or they can at least forward your requests to the responsible experts in the IT group. You can contact the UCO via e-mail <<(MailTo(uco AT desy DOT de)>>) or call them by phone (extension 5005) – however, for more serious problems you should write an e-mail. Your request will then usually be filed in a ticketing system and you’ll get a reply by somebody from the IT group “via RT”.