How to open links out of thunderbird?
As a DESY default it is not possible to open links out of thunderbird.
To change this behaviour just do:
In thunderbird: Edit->Preferences->Advanced->General->Config Editor...
- Search for the following 3 entries:
- network.protocol-handler.warn-external.ftp default boolean false
- network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http default boolean false
- network.protocol-handler.warn-external.https default boolean false
Change them to true
Close this menu and try to open a link (maybe you have to confirm to 'Launch Application' )
If the first way doesn't work, there is a second approach you can try: editing the mimeTypes.rdf (a file which determines how thunderbird opens certain "file types" with external applications):
Go to your thunderbird profile directory, e.g. $HOME/.thunderbird/*.default
Make a backup copy of the file mimeTypes.rdf
Replace the file in your profile directory with this: mimeTypes.rdf
If necessary, edit this file and replace all occurrences of /usr/bin/firefox with the path to the firefox executable you want to use
- Open Thunderbird and click on a link to see if it worked